Sunday, May 24, 2015

Garden Update--5/23/2015

Today, I had to literally peel myself out of bed in order to go the the garden today.  I was just...really...tired this morning.  I would usually get there on Saturday mornings between 10 and 11 am. I didn't get there until 1:30pm.  I can at least say that I got some  things done.  Here is my progress:


The tomatoes and peppers (at least the seeds that have germinated) were covered on Friday due to the threat of frost.  I also see some borage volunteers from last season.  I may keep them there--as they are good companion plants for tomatoes.  Borage attracts pollinators and helps keep certain pests away.

This is the kohlrabi.  It's looking really good.  Since this is my first time growing kohlrabi, I don't know what it would look like when it is ready to harvest.  This would be something for me to research--as well as information with which to make a future post.

Wow...wow...WOW!!!  LOOK at this Swiss Chard!!!  It is looking AMAZING!  I've never grew Swiss chard before, nor have I tasted it.  Because it was looking sooooo good, I took a leaf off and ate it as a snack.  It tastes like spinach, but has a savory-ness to it--as if it has seasoning in its veins.  I can see either cooking it like spinach or eat it raw in salads.

One of about 4 or 5 collard green seedlings. PLEASE LORD, I PRAY FOR COLLARD GREENS THIS SEASON.  If you've never had homegrown collard greens before, then you are missing a treat.  SOOO much better than the stuff that sits in the grocery store.  I encourage EVERYONE to grow collard greens--even in pots.
  
Petunia and rosemary plants.  These will be planted inthe green bean bed.  Petunias and rosemary are perfect companion plants for beans--as they repel Mexican bean beetles.

Petunias and rosemary have just been planted.  The green beans are also starting to come up.


Here is a green bean seedling--up close and personal.

These are tomato plants and sweet potato slips.  Normally, I would start these myself, but circumstances did not permit me to do so this year.  

Just at the Rutgers tomatoes, I took am taking a risk by direct seeding tomatoes.  I'm also trying another experiment.  I will direct seed my heirloom tomatoes, but on the side of the seed, I'm going to put a plant--to see the difference in how they both grow, and the duration of the seed to the plant in terms of when there will be a harvest. I'm only doing this for the tomatoes I can find at my local garden center.  The ones I cannot find will be totally direct seeded.  Above I have plants for Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, and Black  Krim tomatoes.

In terms of the sweet potatoes, these are called Jewel.  For the last two years, I planted Bunch Porto Rico.  Unlike most sweet potatoes--with which the greenery grows as long vines, Bunch Porto Rico grows in a bush fashion.  Bush habit plants vine a little, but for the most part, grow upright.  I was told at the garden center that these vine, but are similar to the Bunch Porto Rico.  We'll see, and hopefully, I'll have a wonderful harvest.

Sweet potato slips have just been planted.  Over the course of the next couple of weeks (and finances permitting), I will plant thyme and summer savory alongside the sweet potatoes.  These herbs serve as companion plants--as they improve the flavor of the sweet potatoes and repel sweet potato weevils.

Sweet potato slip--up close and personal.


My garden is coming along slowly but surely.  I also planted onions and beets along the Red Russian and White Russian Kale.  Unfortunately, I did not get to plant the tomatoes, but since I have a three-day weekend, I have an ample amount of time to do so.  I will be in the garden all day on Monday--with which I will provide an update.  So until then...think thrifty!

Dawn



No comments:

Post a Comment