Monday, May 4, 2015

Garden--5/4/2015

It was so beautiful weather-wise this weekend, that I spent a significant amount of time outside--mainly in my garden.  There's nothing better than a "dirt manicure".



These are plants that were given to me by a friend--who also gardens.  She had these as extra, and thought of me.  Because of my friend's generous gift, I was given Swiss chard, kohlrabi, curly and flat leaf parsley, oregano, and sage.


This is where the plants my friend gave me will go.  This bed is 2x28 feet.  At this stage, the soil was simply loosened with a shovel.
The soil has been hoed and ready for planting.
The plants are now in their new home, and given a drink of water.
Up close...sage and oregano.
Up close...curly and flat leaf parsley, Swiss chard, and kohlrabi.
In  the hoed areas of this bed, seeds for golden beets were sown--as well as red onion sets.  In the center, seeds for green cabbage were sown two weeks ago.  They don't appear to be sprouting.  Will have to monitor these closely.
In the hoed areas of this bed, seeds for turnips and carrots were sown. In the center are peas--which, like the cabbage, were sown two weeks ago.  Unlike the cabbage, the peas ARE sprouting.
Rutgers Tomatoes, collard greens, and cayenne peppers were given a drink of water.
It was a long, hard, yet fulfilling day.  As you can see, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.



So until then...think thrifty!

Dawn











No comments:

Post a Comment