Saturday, May 16, 2015

Garden Update--5/16/2015

Over the last week or so, the meteorologists said that there would be chances of rain.  Because of these "chances", I forgoed time in the garden--with the hopes of getting much needed rain.  As I heard over the course of the week, there was a chance of rain today, but when I woke up, it was sunny and humid.  Because of this, and the fact that I still have work to do in my other plot, I figured I would water what's currently growing--as well as create and hoe some beds for my heirloom and cherry tomatoes, dry beans, and lettuce.  This is what I came to this morning.
I was FINALLY able to get into the garage--to get my other tools and my gallon jugs for water.  There are two wells at the garden, and since the one near me is broken for the UMPTEENTH time, I had to drive over to the other one.  This is Part 1 of the first water run.

First Water Run--Part 2

Collard Greens are starting to come up!  After two years of failure, I'm praying for success!  There's nothing like homegrown collard greens!

Cayenne Pepper Seedling.  As mentioned before (if I haven't done so), I'm taking a risk by planting peppers and tomatoes by direct seeding--as opposed to the seedlings that I usually do.  Certain circumstances forbade me starting seedlings.  This is a bit of an experiment.  I'm sure it will work; although, it will take a bit longer.  Only time will tell as to what kind of harvest I will get...and when.

The kohlrabi is looking well.  I've seen it, but never tasted it.  I'm intrigued as to what it tastes like.

Red onions--rearing their heads out of the soil.

Here is my oregano.  The one on the bottom is done.  I'm hoping to save the top one--as well as the other two plants.  MAN, we need rain!

Curly and flat leaf parsley.  Some of it looks done, but some of it is looking fairly well. 

Peas never fail me.  I ALWAYS get a good crop of peas; although, I'm the only one in my house that eats them.  Peas are SO easy to grow and are SO sweet fresh out of the garden!
Red Russian Kale.  Before leaving, I saw some little bugs eating it (Ugh).  I need to get some onions in there--PRONTO!  Onions protect brassicas (i.e. cabbage, kale, collard greens) from cabbage-eating insects.
Rutgers Tomato Seedlings.  As with the peppers, I'm direct seeding these.  Also, I plant at least two seeds--to guarantee that at least one seed germinates.  As you can see, both seeds have germinated. Let's see which one comes out the strongest.

The sage is all looking really good!  I'm looking forward to having some yummy sage for seasoning roast pork.

Wow!  Look at the Swiss chard.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was looking a little shriveled when I checked it prior to leaving town for Mother's Day weekend.  It is adjusted really well, and am looking forward to having this raw in salads or sauteed with onions, garlic, and olive oil.

Turnips are coming up.  I'm growing these for my mama--since she likes them so much.

White Russian Kale.  This isn't growing as prolific as the Red Russian Kale--as I only see two plants coming up (there are six Red Russian Kale plants).  I hope to see more though.  Last year, I have a bumper of Lacinato (Dinosaur) kale, so I'm hope for the same with this.

Second Water Run--Part 1

Second Water Run--Part 2


As you can see, the soil looks a little dry around the plants.  You can also see that I've done two water runs.  I also created three more beds--one for black beans, and two for my heirloom and cherry tomatoes.  That's the extent of what I've got done--as clouds began to roll in.  That being said, I went home, and 20 minutes later, WE GOT RAIN!!!  HALLELUJAH!!!  I'll have to either continue the bed preparation either tomorrow or Wednesday (Monday is calling for more rain, and Tuesday I have to work my second job), so until then....think thrifty!

Dawn





No comments:

Post a Comment