Saturday, May 30, 2015

Garden Update--5/30/2015

Hello All:


It's been a while.  With my not feeling well for two days and my phone dying, it was somewhat impossible for me to provide an update.  In spite of this, I have been in the garden in the last three days.  Here is my progress:


Prior to today, I spent the last two days creating beds.  Here's an example of a bed created.  I planned to put spinach in this bed, but it is getting a little late in the season, and I'm afraid that the spinach will bolt, or go to seed (which will make it tough and bitter when eaten).  Perhaps I'll plant some spinach here in August.




I've gotten a TREMENDOUS blessing today.  For those who REALLY know me, know that I am anti-tilling.  Based on my research, constant tilling beings up weed seeds--hence the picture above.  Despite this fact, there was a gentleman who also has plots at the community garden...and a tiller.  He said he watched how hard I worked--in terms of either chopping weeds with my hoe or pulling them up by hand, and wanted to help by rototilling the remaining land that I haven't weeded.  Because I surmise that the County will not change its practices on tilling the ground, knowing that this land is technically not mine, AND this gentleman's persistence to help a "damsel in distress", I relented.  I'm showing this plot of land that is behind mine because I didn't think to take "before and after" pictures.  This is a small example of what my plot looked liked before tilling...a weedy mess!


Here are the "after" pictures.  The picture on the left is my entire garden.  I started my work on the farther side, and have done so completely by hand.  Another blessing is the cardboard.  One of my neighbors at the garden had extra cardboard, asked if I needed cardboard for my paths--in order to suppress the weeds. I gladly accepted, and thus...the cardboard in the paths.  The paths are not fully covered, but what was provided was a start.

The picture on the right is the are that was rototilled.  I plan to create beds for corn, melons, and perhaps--a small "cereal patch".  I'm debating as to whether to plan barley or oats.


 
Another blessing.  The tomatoes and pepper plants that you see here--the plants that are freshly watered, were given to me by the neighbor that gave me the cardboard.    She had extra tomato and pepper seedlings.  In addition to the Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, and Black Krim that I planted earlier, in this bed, I planted jalapeno and poblano peppers and a Cherokee Purple tomato.

Here are more tomato plants donated by my neighbor. 

 In the picture on the left, there are two Paul Robesons, a San Marzano, and a Brandywine OTV.  

In the picture on the right, there is a Yellow Pear (which toppled a bit, but I'm sure it will recuperate), two San Marzano, a Green Grape, two Verona grape tomatoes, and a hybrid with which name I have forgotten (I know it's a hybrid because of the "F1" on the tab).



LOOK AT MY COLLARD GREENS!!!  THEY ARE LOOKING REALLY GOOD...and let's pray that they keep looking that good.  

In the picture on the left, there is one collard green seedling (to the left) and borage volunteers (to the right).  The borage was planted here last year.  It's an annual, but it is self-seeding--hence the volunteers. There were some borage volunteers that I removed, but I'm going to keep this because they're near my Rutgers Tomatoes. Borage is a wonderful companion plant for tomatoes--as it is improves the flavor, keeps pests away, and attracts pollinators.

In the picture on the right are a couple of the bigger collard green seedlings.  I expect it to get bigger within another month and a half.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I am DETERMINED to have homegrown collard greens.


Here is one of three cayenne pepper seedlings.  Mind you, these were direct seeded, and also covered with a water bottle to aid in germination.  Looking good so far.


WOW!!! LOOK at this Rutgers tomato seedling!  I have five more seedlings too.  Like the cayenne pepper, this too was direct seeded and covered with a water bottle. It has true leaves on it.  So excited!  Because of the move we made last year, I grew these, had a bumper crop, and was unable to can them.  I am determined to can these--so that we have tomatoes for sauce and salsa in the winter.


The frilly leaves here are Danvers half-long carrots.  I see a few coming up, and oddly, I found a carrot seedling in my Rutgers Tomato/Collard Green/Cayenne Pepper bed.  Because carrots are a good companion plant for tomatoes, I kept it there.  I planted a 12 foot row of these, and am anticipating some sweet, yummy carrots.

NOTE:  The reason why I planted Danvers half-long carrots is because the soil is straight clay.  Many carrots have difficulty growing in clay soil, and the Danvers grow in clay soil well.


Turnips are coming up nicely.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm planting these for my mother. I'm sure she will be pleased.

LOOK AT THE PEAS!!! WOW!!!  This year, I'm experimenting with growing them without a trellis or support.  It will still work, AND these are Little Marvel peas.  The plants only get but so high, and therefore, do not require support.  The only issue is that peas wrap their tendrils around EVERYTHING...including the weeds.  The one "weed" that is giving me difficulty here is a Wild Morning Glory.  While I love morning glories, these wild ones are highly invasive and can either smother or choke the crap out of everything in its path.  They were wrapped around my peas like something terrible!  They had to go, and I weeded this bed by ridding it of as much of the wild morning glory as possible.  I did notice, despite my weeding, that new sprouts for it are popping up.  I have to be more vigilant in my weeding of this bed.

Ok.  I know that this looks like nothing here,  but these are sweet potatoes.  

The picture on the left is the whole sweet potato bed. The picture on the right is one sweet potato slip.  I know, they look dead, but sweet potatoes are known to suffer from some SERIOUS transplant shock.  I'm not worried, because with proper care and time to get established, they will recuperate and thrive.


CHECK OUT MY GREEN BEANS!!  They are really starting to pop up.  I'm getting excited! 

I didn't get any last year, some I'm EVER so determined to have some this year.  The County (who is responsible for the community gardens) supplies seed packets--including green beans.  The ones provided are Tendergreen, and I grew them my first year.  However, my mother didn't like them, and insisted on having Blue Lake Bush beans.  That being said, I planted a mess of Blue Lake Bush beans, and bought extra packets--so that I would have enough to plant.
(THRIFTY TIP:  The Dollar Tree sells 4 seed packets for $1 in the winter...including the Blue Lake Bush beans.  More on the seed packets later in another entry)

Red Russian Kale on the left and White Russian Kale on the right.  Looking good!


Swiss Chard still looking good.  I harvested a little, and took some to my mother--who has never tried Swiss Chard.  She tried it...she LOVED it.  She was also impressed on how it looked--saying that it look exactly as that one would see in the grocery store.  WOW!!  What a compliment!  Unlike the grocery store chard, the stuff that I gave her was freshly picked.  Lord knows how long the chard in the grocery has been on the shelves, where it is from, and how it was grown.  If I must say so myself, my chard is a thousand times better! 

Kohlrabi is looking good.  It got a watering yesterday, so I'm sure that it is EXTREMELY happy!  I still have to research on when and how to harvest it.


As you can see, I got much work done...AND got some help and some COOL free stuff!  I can note the free stuff as a "Thrifty Tip", but the free stuff from neighbors is never guaranteed.  What I CAN guarantee is that by getting to know your neighbors--whether is be at a community garden, or even at home, it makes your life richer.  

My neighbors and I discuss what we're planting and bounce off gardening ideas and tips.  More importantly, we're establishing rapport and relationship.  When encountering new people and establishing new relationships, it is of utmost importance to see each encounter as an opportunity to learn from that individual.  It should also be an opportunity for that person to learn from you as well--whether it be gardening or whichever hobby...or learning about each other.My life's motto is "Life is like school.  You never stop learning."  So, essentially, I'm being taken to school with each encounter.  And who knows what other blessings you'll receive...maybe some free tomato plants! :-)

 On my next trip to the garden, I plan to plant corn, melons, zucchini, and cucumbers. I will provide an update.  So until then...later and think thrifty!

Dawn




2 comments:

  1. Awesome Dawn! You have been busy! Do you grow any salad greens or asian greens? I have many of the plants in my garden that you have in yours. Love your blog. Cheers, Lex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do grow lettuces. I haven't planted any yet, but will do so throughout the season. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete